Energy Performance Certificates for Commercial & Domestic Buildings

Assess Ltd

Tel        0121 453 8332

Mob     07771 662 357

Email   [email protected]

Welcome to EPC Assess, we provide EPC's / Energy Performance Certificates for ANY building type including NEW-BUILD and EXISTING, DOMESTIC and COMMERCIAL buildings in addition to U-value & SAP calculations with specific advice to ensure your compliance with Building Regulations Part L 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B.


What type of EPC can we help you with (please click) :-



Domestic EPC for existing homes

houses, flats, bungalows, maisonettes


 Commercial EPC for business properties

new & existing business premises


SAP EPC for new homes

homes under constuction, conversions & extensions



An EPC provides an energy efficiency rating for a property and is a legal requirement for new buildings and existing buildings being sold or rented in the UK. An EPC lasts for ten years or until changes are made that would affect the energy efficiency rating of the property.


A Commercial EPC can only be prepared by a Non Domestic Energy Assessor - NDEA  who will visit site to assess the property and prepared a ND EPC using approved SBEM software.


A Domestic EPC can only be prepared by a Domestic Energy Assessor - DEA who will visit site to assess the property and prepare an EPC using approved RdSAP software.


A SAP EPC can only be prepared by an On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor - OCDEA or SAP Assessor  who can assess the new / proposed property from plan and the design information provided.


(there are instances when you may require a combination of commercial EPC, domestic EPC and/or SAP EPC, for example shops with flat above / rented properties with shared spaces / business with on-site accommodation)


As qualified and accredited commercial energy assessors ( NDEA ), domestic energy assessors ( DEA ) and on construction energy assessors ( OCDEA ) we can provide you with all the documentation that you require for your property type.



EPC for Renting or Selling your Home




An Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) is required whenever a property is BUILT, SOLD or RENTED in the UK and you must provide a copy of the EPC to potential buyers and tenants before they view the property (although you can initiate marketing once it is commissioned).


An EPC contains:


  • information about a property’s energy use and typical energy costs

  • recommendations about how to reduce energy use and save money


An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.


You can be fined if you don’t get an EPC when you need one


The person selling the house, the landlord or the letting agent must show you the EPC if you’re buying or renting.


Buildings that don’t need an EPC include:


  • places of worship

  • temporary buildings that will be used for less than 2 years

  • stand-alone buildings with total useful floor space of less than 50 sq mtr

  • industrial sites, workshops and non-residential agricultural buildings that don’t use a lot of energy

  • some buildings that are due to be demolished

  • holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy

  • listed buildings - you should get advice from your local authority conservation officer if the work would alter the building’s character

  • residential buildings intended to be used less than 4 months a year



EPC for Commercial Business Premises




Any building which is not a domestic dwelling is a commercial building including hotels, hostles, residential & healthcare facilities, holiday homes & student accomodation etc ... if it does not have its own private bathroom & kitchen it is a commercial building.


You must have a Non Domestic / Commercial  EPC if:


  • you rent out or sell the premises

  • a building under construction is finished

  • there are changes to the number of parts used for separate occupation and these changes involve providing or extending fixed heating, air conditioning or mechanical ventilation systems


You can be fined between £500 and £5,000 based on the rateable value of the building if you don’t make an EPC available to any prospective buyer or tenant.



EPC for Buildings OPEN to the Public


                ... you require a DISPLAY ENERGY CERTIFICATE - DEC


A DEC is a type of EPC required by any organisation that could be visited by members of the general public, it is based upon annual energy usage and maybe required in addition to a ND EPC.


You must display a DEC by fixing it to your building if all of the following apply:


  • the total useful floor area is over 500 square meters

  • the building is frequently visited by the public

  • an EPC has already been produced for the building’s sale, rental or construction


A DEC is typically required by library, hospital, health centres, swimming baths, sports clubs & venues, entertainment facilities, schools, colleges, universities, supermarkets, DIY & trade outlets, showrooms, shopping malls, retail, automotive, recreational, organisations with public access or waiting areas, even larger reception areas of private companies.



SAP EPC - NEW Build, Extension, Conversion


                 ... you require a SAP EPC OR BRUKL REPORT - SAP EPC


SAP EPC & BRUKL Reports demonstrate Compliance with Part L of the Building Regulations and are required by Building Control before they can issue with your completion certificate for a NEW BUILD, EXTENSION or CONVERSION project.


SAP EPC's are required for New Build Domestic Dwellings, Extensions and Conversions (change of use from commercial to domestic dwellings) and can only be produced by an accredited On Construction Domestic Energy Assessor (OCDEA).


SAP EPC's are different from normal domestic EPC's in that the energy assessor will also check compliance with the Building Regulations Part L and provide SAP Calculations, U-value and Part L Compliance Reports in addition to the SAP EPC. It is normal to conduct a SAP Assessment at both the Design Stage and As Build Stage of the project to ensure compliance will be acheived.


For Commercial Properties the compliance reports is know as a BRUKL Report which must be produced by a Level 4 Non Domestic Energy Assessor


(BRUKL - Building Regulations UK part L)


These Compliance Reports will be required by Building Control in order to issue you with a Completion Certificate for your new building and will need to comply with:


  • Building Regulations Part L1A   (new domestic dwellings)

  • Building Regulations Part L1B   (extensions & conversions - domestic)

  • Building Regulations Part L2A   (new commercial buildings)

  • Building Regulations Part L2B   (extensions & conversions - commercial)

* Required


EPC MEES - Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards Birmingham epc, domestic epc, energy performance certificate, domestic energy assessor, dea, DOMESTIC HOMES commercial epc, non domestic epc, non domestic energy assessor, commercial energy assessor, sbem assessor, brukl, COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS sap epc, sap assessment, new build, extension, conversions, change of use, buiding control, sap calcs, NEW DOMESTIC HOMES